There are a lot of changes happening in the financial services industry, and perhaps you’ve been thinking about making a move. Certainly no one knows what’s right for you (except you), but here are some things to think about.
What to consider if you’ve been looking at firms to join:
- Is the firm’s culture and advisor style a match with yours?
- Do they focus on financial planning, portfolio construction and investment selection, or are they focused on a particular product? Can they handle the full range of what you offer or would like to offer?
- Are they involved with local community groups?
- Do they have high ethics?
- Does the firm have a reputable, established brand? Do they spend enough on marketing their brand, or will you have to do all the heavy lifting?
- Does their compliance department offer training and help, or just punitive, strict editing?
- How committed is the firm to technology, upgrades and IT security?
- Do your clients remain yours or are they considered company property?
- What are the compensation arrangements? Does the firm embrace a hybrid approach (commission + fees) or is fee-only*?
Whether you’re a consummate entrepreneur who wants to expand your own horizons or you’d like to join an RIA, we can help. Talk to us: 800.440.1088.
*Further reading about AUM / fee-based / commission compensation methods: http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2017/03/16/commission-clients-dont-favor-switch-to-fees-jd-po?eNL=58cadd93160ba044766b018b&utm_source=TA